If you need a family law solicitor, then you'll want to get it right, so that you've got more chance of getting the help and advice you need, and the results you want.
Here's what you need to know.
1. You'll need to establish what area of family law you need. Are you getting divorced? Do you want to have a pre nup written? Are you the victim of domestic violence? Are you considering moving in with your partner and want to know what the legal implications are?
2. Once you've worked out what sort of family law solicitor you need, you can then decide whether a local solicitor or a solicitors known for specialising in family law will be best for you.
3. You'll want to ensure that your solicitor is in constant communication with you, so that you know what's going on, what will happen, and what's expected of you.
4. It's important that your solicitor shows you empathy, and understands what you're going through, and doesn't just see you as just another case number, and more work to do.
5. You'll want to get the right advice from your solicitor, and so you'll need to be prepared to provide lots of information. If your solicitor doesn't ask the right questions, then you might not be getting the advice you need.
6. You'll want to choose a family law solicitor with plenty of experience. You'll want to be reassured that they not what they are doing, and can help you in your situation.
7. As well as experience, you'll want your solicitor be able to get the results you want. No matter whether you want more access to see your children, or want to end your civil partnership, you'll want to get the right results.
8. It's essential that your solicitor remains professional at all times, you won't want to be unable to contact your solicitor, or be waiting whilst they find your case notes.
9. You'll need to like and trust your solicitor. You'll be giving them lots of personal information about you, and possibly your family. You might also be spending quite a lot of time with them too, so it's important that you get on.
10. Although you might be worried about the cost, you should have far more important things on your mind, especially if your children, or grandchildren, are involved. You can't pick a family law solicitor solely on cost.
Now you know what to consider, you'll be able to make sure that you get the right family law solicitor.