Family Law solicitors aren't only needed when things go wrong in a relationship, although that's when the majority of people turn to them.
Here's how family law solicitors can help you.
1. If your marriage has broken down, and you're instigating divorce proceedings, you'll want to make sure that you get the right legal advice and assistance. A firm of family law solicitors will be able to help you.
2. If you're not married, but have decided to call it a day and you're your relationship, there may be a house and other assets involved. You'll want to speak to a family law solicitor who specialises in separation so that you get what you're entitled to.
3. Many divorces and separations involve children. If you need legal help regarding access, schooling, or holidays, then you'll want to speak to experienced solicitors.
4. Custody battles are not uncommon, and so if your ex spouse is threatening to move house, or stop you seeing your children, or moving in with a new partner, you'll need to make sure that you do the best for your children, and that you know your legal rights.
5. Resolution is a family law association that promote a non confrontational approach to resolving cases involving children. If your family solicitors are members, then you will be persuaded to talk to your ex spouse in order to try and come to a suitable agreement.
6. You'll want to know more about cohabitation law if you're planning on moving in with your partner, so that you both know where you stand legally, and what to do if things don't work out.
7. If you're thinking about undertaking a Civil Partnership, then you'll need to make sure that you know what's involved and your legal rights.
8. Inheritance claims and disputes can upset within families. If you want to dispute a claim, or need ensure that you or your children are adequately provided for if you were financially dependent on someone who has died, or want to know more about inheritance tax, then you'll want to speak to a family law firm.
9. Pre nuptial agreements are becoming more and more common, and although they are not yet legally binding, recent cases have shown that judges are taking note of them, and acting accordingly. If you want to make sure that you're protected before you get married, it's a good idea to speak to a family specialist firm.
10. There are many financial implications associated with family law, including having to sell your home if your get divorced, inheritance tax, other assets and pensions. You'll need to make sure that you get the advice you need so that you're not out of pocket.
Now you know more about it, you'll be able to get the family law advice you need in order to help you out.